Ever notice how you can draw a map of Texas and
it is recognized by most everyone in the world? Few states can make such a
claim! Why? Because Texas is unique!!
Here are some bits of information about
Texas. After you are done, go on to the links pages of this section and
see a few things we have to offer!
- Texas has a total of 6,300 square miles of inland lakes and streams...second only
- Texas is as large as all of New England, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and
- There are more than 70,000 miles of highways in
- Texas was annexed to the United States in 1845 as
the 28th state. It seceded in 1861 and was readmitted in 1870.
- "Texas" comes from an Indian word "tejas" which means friends or allies.
- The Texas flag is the only flag that can be flown at the same height and size as
the US flag.
- The Texas Capitol building is the only
one higher than the US Capitol Building.
will be on the test...
Nickname: The Lone Star State
State Motto: Friendship
State Song: "Texas, Our Texas"
State Bird: Mockingbird
State Flower: Bluebonnet
State Tree: Pecan
Large Mammal: Long Horn
Small Mammal: Armadillo
Total Area: 267,277 Square Miles
Population: 19,760,000 ('98 Estimate)
Find Your Way>>>>